Welcome to Spring A 2009 Quotes Blog

QUOTE RESPONSE INSTRUCTIONS
~Choose a quote with a KNOWN author.
~Compose a short essay on why this quote has meaning in your life. Include interesting information about the quote author that is relevent to your response.
~Complete 3 drafts for in class revising, and editing sessions. ~You will need 2 peer edits per draft session.
~Your quote should be set up in the following manner:
*Use the required heading
(name, class, date, assignment name)
*Create a title for your post.
*"Put your chosen quote in quotation marks."
*List the author of your quote underneath.
*Leave a space.
*Somewhere in the body of your quote include a picture that enhances your quote post.
*Key in your quote response essay to the blog AFTER it has been through the draft, revision, editing process.
~When all quotes have been posted, I will instruct you to make comments (minimum of four).
~Please do not post comments until all quotes have been posted!
~Pick four or more quotes by fellow classmates and add a comment to their post. You may comment on their quote or on their author or on the information they shared.
~Inappropriate quote posts or comments will not be tolerated and will result in a failing IRP grade. Build each other up, not tear each other down.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Food for Thought

“If you treat people right they will treat you right-ninety percent of the time.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

All my life my father has told me to treat others the way you would want them to treat you. My father would always give us this lecture either after my siblings and I would fight or if we were mean to another kid. I have always remembered that lecture in my adult life and tried to live by it, but sometimes have found that it isn’t necessarily true.

Franklin D. Roosevelt was diagnosed with poliomyelitis as a young child. As a result of this disease he was never able to use his legs again. He was our 32nd president, and best known for being elected for four consecutive terms. Sadly, he died in his fourth term. He held the office longer than any other president in history, after he died is when the law passed that the president can only hold office for two consecutive terms. While he was in office, the United States went through the Great Depression, World War II, and the attack on Pearl Harbor. He died the night before the military victory in Europe, and a few months before the victory of Japan. Another interesting fact is that his birthday is a legal holiday in the Virgin Islands.

Through all of the adversities he went through in his presidency and his personal life, he always remained optimistic and well driven to succeed. His quote to me is more accurate than many of the ones my parents told me. I really admire him for not dwelling on what life had thrown at him, but pushing back and becoming successful. To me, he was one of the greatest presidents our country has ever had. He knew that not everyone would treat you better no matter how well you treated them. Although a majority would, there are still small percentages that won’t. It is still a good theory to use in your everyday life, but just be prepared for some people not treat you any better.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the closing paragraph! It's so cool you can relate to one of our presidents just by being realistic and not naive. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the background information in this and how t=you related it to your childhood and the lessons we all have drilled into our head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the last paragraph because it is true, not everyone will treat you good when you treat them good. It's terrible to say but some people don't care about the way they treat people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was a great paper it had a lot of great point especally the last paragraph great paper i relly enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised the same way. I know exactly what you mean. My dad always told me that same thing and if I was mean to someone I had to apologize to there face. Even if I didn't say anything to them because he wanted me to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete