Welcome to Spring A 2009 Quotes Blog

QUOTE RESPONSE INSTRUCTIONS
~Choose a quote with a KNOWN author.
~Compose a short essay on why this quote has meaning in your life. Include interesting information about the quote author that is relevent to your response.
~Complete 3 drafts for in class revising, and editing sessions. ~You will need 2 peer edits per draft session.
~Your quote should be set up in the following manner:
*Use the required heading
(name, class, date, assignment name)
*Create a title for your post.
*"Put your chosen quote in quotation marks."
*List the author of your quote underneath.
*Leave a space.
*Somewhere in the body of your quote include a picture that enhances your quote post.
*Key in your quote response essay to the blog AFTER it has been through the draft, revision, editing process.
~When all quotes have been posted, I will instruct you to make comments (minimum of four).
~Please do not post comments until all quotes have been posted!
~Pick four or more quotes by fellow classmates and add a comment to their post. You may comment on their quote or on their author or on the information they shared.
~Inappropriate quote posts or comments will not be tolerated and will result in a failing IRP grade. Build each other up, not tear each other down.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Living in The Moment.




"Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." Buddha


To enjoy the present seems like an easy concept, but it is one that I have a hard time with. I think several people have issues with this, whether they are day dreaming of the past or worrying about the future, the right now is not being enjoyed for what it is worth.


There is a myth about Buddha's birth, stating that his father called a wise sage named Aista soon after Buddha was born who told him, "If he remains home he will become the wheel-rolling King. If he leaves, he will become the great teacher Buddha." I wonder if Buddha lived by his own quote. He was born a prince of the modern day Nepal around 565 BC and spent most of his childhood in a state of thoughtfullness and sometimes depression. If he was living in the moment maybe he would not have been depressed, but then again maybe the legend of Buddha living several lives before being born into this world to save it is true. That would be a lot to carry on your shoulders.


Though when I think of this quote, I think more along the line of enjoying what you are doing at the present time, than thinking about what you want to be doing, or things that you have already done. I live on a farm and often find my free time filled with chores like making hay, fence building, caring for livestock, or several other things (usually not my first choice of activities). I tell myself that I have a choice, be miserable or be happy. I try to joke around, enjoy the day, and company that I have at the present moment Instead of just goingthrough the motions waiting for the chores to be done. I may need to remind myself a few times on crappy chore days, but I always try to make the best of it. Everyone should try living for what they are doing at the moment, instead of wishing for the time to hurry past. After all, we don't know how much time any of us has left.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you realted this to your life. Please don't ever give up! There are too few people out there these days that actually aren't allergic to hard work. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been told this quote several times because I am bad about doing this...I like the quote and feel that it is true and we should follow it because it truly makes life a little less stressful believe it or not. Good job!

    ReplyDelete